Story Content Provided by Dave Kittey August 29, 2010
MARKLEYSBURG, PA (August 29, 2010) - Jason Covert kept cool under heavy pressure to capture the 35 lap Super Late Model feature as Roaring Knob Motorsports Complex completed its second night of racing on Sunday.
Covert’s third career win at the track came in the first-ever appearance by the Three State Flyer Series for Super Late Models. Max Blair scored his first-ever Roaring Knob win in the Brooks Automotive Group FASTRAK Late Models. Other winners were Todd Dennis (Bobby Lake Motorsports Street Stocks), Louie Krushansky (Melvin’s Automatic Transmission Center
Modifieds) and Marty Spade, Jr. (TC Race Car Parts Chargers).*
* The start of the 15-lap Bobby Lake Motorsports Street Stock feature saw Jim Byers leading the way. Byers and Todd Dennis ran side by side for five laps before Dennis took control for good. Byers stayed in his sight until the final laps when Dennis was able to pull away to a comfortable win, his ninth of the season. Jim Bendishaw, Jr. was able to secure the second spot from Byers in the final two laps. Byers, Bob Nelson, Mike Duritsky, Ryan Newman, Ben Policz, Barry Faris, Scott Herring and Charlie McClain claimed the top ten. Bendishaw and Duritsky won the prelims.*
* The front row of the 20-lap Brooks Automotive Group FASTRAK Late Models had father and son Robbie and Max Blair lead the field to the green. Max darted into the lead at the start as his dad chased him. Max was able to start pulling away as Robbie (driving for Dan Karalagas) had to deal with a determined Dan Angelicchio. A restart on lap seven saw Angelicchio actually take second but Robbie Blair battled back to re-pass for the position. While all this was going Max Blair raced off to his first-ever win at Roaring Knob. Robbie Blair, Angelicchio, Bobby Cossell and John Over were the top five. Sixth through tenth were Cody Hardesty, Ricky Meglaye, Troy Shields, Joe Loudin and Billy Stile III.
Preliminary races went to Stile, Hardesty and Angelicchio.*
* Up next was the main event of the evening, the 35-lap Three State Flyers Series for the Jack’s Recycling Super Late Models. With Jason Covert, of York Haven, starting on the pole, after his win the 8-lap dash, it was expected to be a runaway. Not so as Chad McClellan stayed glued to Covert’s rear bumper. The two pulled away from the pack and as they approached lapped traffic things heated up. Ron Delano, Jr. closed in to make it a three car battle. McClellan looked high and low making several attempts to steal the lead from Covert as Delano looked for an opening. A caution on lap 14 left a clear track for Covert. On the restart he still wasn’t able to shake the 119 of MeClellan. Delano’s good run ended on lap 34 when he hooked the cushion and hit the wall setting up a two lap shootout. On the restart McClellan jumped the cushion and spun after something broke in his car. DJ Myers, who started tenth, then took up chase for the final two laps but Covert held on to pick up his third career win at Roaring Knob. This was his fifth Three State Flyer win this year. Behind Covert and Myers at the finish were Devin Friese, Scott LeBarron, Mel Minnick, Jr., Jared Hawkins (from 20^th ), Keith Jackson (from 22^nd ), Doug Horton, Ricky Elliott and Scott Rhodes. Taking qualifying heats were Covert, Elliott, Horton and McClellan. The B-Main went to Robbie Blair.*
* "Lucky Louie" Krushansky from Morgantown, WV won his second 15-lap Melvin’s Automatic Transmission Center Modified feature of the 2010 season. In perhaps the best feature of the night, Krushansky, Brent Trimble and Vic Vandergrift put on a show for the fans. The three drivers went high and low trying to outfox each other. When the checker fell it was Krushansky parked in victory lane. Trimble had his best finish of the season in second followed by Phil Jeffries, Vandergrift, Josh Cramer, Nathan Baker, Bruce Dreistadt, Larry Atha, Josh Revels and Ryan Montgomery. Heat wins went to Trimble and Krushansky.*
* Fresh off his win the night before, Marty Spade, Jr. used his front row starting spot to quickly grab the lead as the green fell on the 12-lap TC Race Car Parts Charger feature. Ed Vogel and JT Baird kept Spade in their sights until the final laps when Spade was able to open up a comfortable lead. Spade cruised home to his eighth win of the year.
Baird, Kenny Burkholder, Kyle Burkholder, Joey Tomasek, CJ Nicola, Terry Mitchell, Bradley Nesline, Bennie Dennis and Ed Vogel filled out the top ten. Heat winners were Ed Vogel and Kenny Burkholder.*
*September 4 - **Fireworks plus Roaring Knob vs. Dog Hollow Shootout #3 sponsored by Cresap Automotive of Cumberland, MD for FASTRAK Late Models and Roaring Knob vs Bedford Shootout #3 sponsored by Krause Electric of Somerset, PA for Super Late Models, plus Modifieds, Street Stocks and Chargers plus 40-lap 4-cylinder factory stocks.*
* September 11 -UFo King of the Knob**, $5000-to-win Area 51-lap UFo Super Late Model Championship plus FASTRAK Late Models, Modifieds, Street Stocks and Chargers. Hot laps 6:15. Pit gates open at 4pm.
Raindate September 12.*
Three State Flyers Series for the Jack’s Recycling Super Late Models
(35): Jason Covert, DJ Myers, Devin Friese, Scott LeBarron, Mel Minnick, Jr., Jared Hawkins, Keith Jackson, Doug Horton, Ricky Elliott, Scott Rhodes, Mason Zeigler, LC Powers, Jack Pencil, Chad McClellan, Danny Pugh, Kyle Merkel, Ron Delano, Jr., Jake Hawkins, Bob Gordon, Chuck Harper, Butch McGill, Bob Hershman, Quinton Wyandt, Rodney Phillips, Robbie Blair.
*DNQ: Richard Frazier, Mike Steck, Tim Senic, Billy Holbert, Steve Wilmoth, Nick Dickson, Jeff Ferguson, Alan Sagi, Randy Burkholder, Sam Stile.*
*Brooks Automotive Group FASTRAK Late Models (24): Max Blair, Robbie Blair, Dan Angelicchio, Bobby Cossell, John Over, Cody Hardesty, Ricky Meglaye, Troy Shields, Joe Loudin, Billy Stile III, Daniel Hill, Jim Bryce, Shane Hitt, Scott Beitzel, Garry Sisson, Russell Baird, Jr., Andy Spooner, Stanley Spooner, Jayme Bolkovac, Andrew Wylie, Mike Lewis, Rick Strickler, Shawn Jett, Greg Tressler.*
*Melvin’s Automatic Transmission Center Modifieds (11): Louie Krushansky, Brent Trimble, Phil Jeffries, Vic Vandergrift, Josh Cramer, Nathan Baker, Bruce Dreistadt, Larry Atha, Josh Revels, Jason Montgomery, Nick Cramer*
*Bobby Lake Motorsports Street** Stocks (12): Todd Dennis, Jim Bendishaw, Jr., Jim Byers, Bob Nelson, Mike Duritsky, Ryan Newman, Ben Policz, Barry Faris, Scott Herring, Charlie McClain, Chris Lucy, DNS: Scott Spade.*
*TC Race Car Parts Chargers (14): Marty Spade, Jr., JT Baird, Kenny Burkholder, Kyle Burkholder, Joey Tomasek, CJ Nicola, Terry Mitchell, Bradley Nesline, Bennie Dennis, Ed Vogel, Donnie Walters, Jason Gibbs, Justin Howell, Eric Miller*